You can get funding from the Draft program to try out an innovative business idea. The program is available for students, staff and faculty of Karelia UAS and University of Eastern Finland.
Draft in numbers since 2012:
414 students, researchers, teachers and professors (30 in September 2016)
65 funded teams (6 in September 2016)
1.250.000 € amount of private funding collected by teams who participated in the Draft Program(r)
Draft program is funded by Karelia UAS, University of Eastern Finland, William and Ester Otsakorpi Foundation and PKO Regional Co-operative.
Register by 30.4.2017
Steps to follow
- your name and email address
- names and emails of your team’s other members
- a short meaningful title of your idea
- short description of the idea and team + possible attachments
- the name and email of the person who informed you about Draft call
Maximum length for the description is one A4 size of paper. All ideas will be handled 100 % confidentially. Remember to add your contact info. You can ask feedback via phone +358(0)503109657 / Heikki Immonen
What kind of ideas are suitable?
- It can be a new product, service, app, business model etc.
- We don't accept ideas that are being developed for an existing company
Who can participate?
- Teams that have at least two members can apply
- At least one team member must be a student, staff or faculty member of Karelia UAS or University of Eastern Finland
Present your idea on 10.5.2017
16 teams will be pre-selected to present their idea to the Draft board at Joensuu Science Park on 10.5.2017 at 09:00 - 16:00.
Steps to follow
- You have exactly 5 minutes to present your idea and 10 minutes after that to talk with the board
- Remember to arrive on location at least 20 minutes before it is your turn to present
- Bring the slides you'll be using on a USB memory stick either in Powerpoint or in Pdf format
- You will be notified whether you'll receive the funding by the following Monday
- How has the idea evolved before it's current version?
- What concrete actions has the team done for the idea in the past?
- Why is this idea needed?
- How will the idea work in practice?
- What would be the price of the product or service?
- Who are in the team and how are they contributing?
- How will the keypeople in the team fit the development of the idea in to their calendars?
- How will the world change because of your idea in the next 10 years?
- What will be ready after 12 months?
- What tasks will you do in the next 4 months?
- Use images and illustrations in your slides, not text
- Slides and speech should complement each other
- Practise your presentation several times, for the 5 minute is absolute
- With every slide, try to offer some evidence for what your saying is true.
- If you already have a demo or a prototype, you can take it with you if possible.
- Think in advance what kind of questions the board might ask and include answers to these questions to your presentation.
- If members of the board can google a similar or better version of your idea during the presentation and you didn't mention those ideas in the presentation, then it means that you didn't prepare well
- After you've finished your 5 minute presentation, focus on listening what the board has to say
If your team is selected, it has 1000 € of funding available for the next 8 months.
Do as follows
- Write such a description of your team and idea that can be published here on Draft website
- After the team profile is published, the funding can be used
How does the funding work?
- Karelia UAS, the managing party of Draft program, will do all the purchases needed to develop your idea
- The money will not be paid directly to any team member
- The team is free to suggest different types of purchases
- These purchases will be done if deemed appropriate
- After the teams development work is finished, all the equipment possibly purchased with the money must be returned to Karelia UAS
- If the teams original idea isn't working, any leftover funding can be used to test a different innovative idea the team might have
- Karelia UAS has the right to stop doing purchases that are seen as unappropriate.
What can and can't be bought with the funding?
- The funding can be used for a variety of purchases such as materials, supplies, equipment, special tools, travelling expenses, web domains, printing, online test marketing etc.
The funding can not be used:
- team member salaries
- hiring a business consultant or other expert
- buying computers, laptops, tablets (unless such a device is a component of the actual product)
Other services for Draft teams